FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS THE EXCEL CENTER?
In the 2021 state legislative session, Goodwill Industries of Kentucky was granted state funding to establish a one-of-a-kind high school for adults to earn their diplomas and workforce certificates. The school – better known as an Excel Center – provides a tuition-free opportunity for Kentuckians 18 years old or older who have dropped out of high school to earn a diploma in a unique environment that caters to the life demands they now face as adults.
To help its adult students succeed in earning their diplomas, the Excel Center features:
- Flexible eight-week class schedules
- Free on-site childcare
- Transportation assistance
- Industry-recognized certification options
- Career counselors who help graduates transition into college or meaningful careers
WHY IS AN EXCEL CENTER NECESSARY?
In Kentucky, there are more than 300,000 working-age adults who have not completed high school or earned an equivalent certification. Their median annual earnings are $18,137 compared to the $25,191 per year that adults with a high school diploma earn. Using the Excel Center to help Kentucky create more high school graduates will:
- Generate more work-ready citizens to meet the growing needs of employers and subsequently reduce poverty in Kentucky
- Increase the number of adults who pursue post-secondary degrees
- Reduce recidivism and the criminal justice pipeline by improving the employability of Kentucky’s adult learners
- Evolve into a self-sustaining program by reducing the number of Kentucky citizens who rely on government subsidies while simultaneously increasing tax revenues by improving the earning potential of former high school dropouts
WHERE DID THE EXCEL CONCEPT COME FROM?
BUILT ON A SUCCESSFUL NATIONAL MODEL
The concept of the Excel Center was initiated by Goodwill Education Initiatives, Inc., a not-for-profit organization formed by Goodwill of Central and Southern Indiana. Since the first Excel Center began operating in Indianapolis in 2010, 37 schools now operate under the leadership of multiple Goodwill organizations in seven states and Washington DC.
Excel Centers throughout the nation have produced the following results:
- 2022 enrollment at 37 schools: 10,000
- 11,000+ graduates since 2010
- 2022 industry-recognized certifications issued: 1,300
- Graduates see a 39% increase in earnings compared to those without a diploma
- Graduates see a 40% increase in employment compared to before they enrolled
- Graduates see a 20% increase in workforce participation compared to their peers
- States see an 8-month return on investment after an Excel Center student graduates and 34-month return for nongraduates
In the first year at the Goodwill Kentucky Excel Center:
- 235 students enrolled
- 33 graduated
- Students’ ages ranged from 18 years old to 64 years old, with the median being 33 years old
- The student retention rate through four terms was 60%
WHERE IS IT LOCATED?
6201 Preston Highway in the Newburg neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky.
WHO CAN ENROLL?
The school is accessible at no cost to Kentucky residents who are 18 years old or older and have not completed high school or earned their GED.
The Excel Center® is operated by Goodwill Education Initiatives, Inc., a not-for-profit organization formed by Goodwill of Central and Southern Indiana.
6203 Preston Highway
Louisville, KY 40219